THE BROOKLYN & LONG ISLAND CHAPTER
Participation, representation, attendance at all activities such as Scientific Seminars for which you receive CME credits.
Ability to make your voice heard in the local surgical communities, state organizations, College affairs and government bodies.
Personal interaction with the President of the American College of Surgeons at our Chapter’s Annual Meeting.
Our Socio-Economic Committee sends a contingent of surgeons to Washington, D.C. and Albany every year to meet with Senators and Representatives from our Chapter area and inform them of the views and needs of the surgical community.
Distinct honor of being a member of a distinguished organization of surgeons who constantly promote scientific, educational, social and political issues to further the quality of care our patients deserve.
• Promote and represent viewpoints of the surgeon community before State and Federal legislative, regulatory and executive agencies.
• Assist surgeons in developing personal relationships with elected officials.
• Education on the NYS legislative/regulatory issues facing the surgeon community.
• Alerts and online tools to help you respond to your elected officials.
• Town Hall forums with Chapter leadership to uncover prevailing issues and address concerns.
Activities of the Chapter
• Annual Clinic Day and Multi-Specialty Surgical Symposium are held on a Wednesday in December each year in conjunction with the Nassau Surgical Society.
• CME Activity
• Multi-specialty sessions
• Annual Chapter meeting in June of each year. Address to the Chapter by the President of the American College of Surgeons.
• Dinner meeting with nominal charge.
• Keynote speaker for the Young Surgeons of the Chapter area.
• Murry Friedman Resident Essay/Abstract Competition held in May of each year with prizes awarded.
• Dinner meeting, nominal charge.
• Annual Federation Legislation Day-Contingent of surgeons sent to Washington each year to meet with local Senators and Representatives informing them of our needs and views.
• Young surgeon representative sent to Washington, D.C. each year to learn the workings of advocacy & leadership for the Chapter of the College.
• Interview regional applicants annually for Fellowship status and report our recommendations to the College.
• Send representatives to Albany and various statewide committees to convey the needs and views of the local surgical community. Committees include the State Medicare Board, Emergency Services, and Cancer Advisor.
• Spearheading the formation of a coalition of all New York Chapters to aggressively participate in the state political activities in Albany so that the views and needs of Surgeons are conveyed to our elected legislative officials.
• Appointment of 3 Governors to represent the local views and needs to the Board of Governors of the College.
• Sponsor a Chapter website with news, calendar, and directories.
• Sponsor a cocktail reception at the Annual College Meeting in Oct. on Monday evening of the Clinical Congress.
Apply for ACS Fellowship
The Brooklyn and Long Island Chaperter of the American College of Surgeons encourages interested surgeons and associate members to apply for ACS fellowship before the December 1 deadline.
Pay Your Membership Fee
If you choose this form of payment there is a $5 fee attached to the dues payment.