Brooklyn & Long Island Chapter
Home
About Us
Event Calendar
Officers
Survey 2010
Medical Malpractice Hearing
Physician Procedure Surcharge
Chapter News
Membership
Members Only
Join Our Mailing List
Contact Us
About BLIACS
The American College of Surgeons was founded in 1913 as a professional association devoted to the advancement of the science of surgery and the ethical and competent practice of its art. Over the next several decades, the College gradually prospered and grew; and membership in the organization became regarded as evidence that one's surgical competence and ethical standards, as judged by his peers, were of the highest caliber.

Some of the success and achievements of the ACS can be credited to the Brooklyn-Long Island Chapter which had its beginnings in Brooklyn fifty years ago in April, 1930, when Dr. John E. Jennings and Dr. Charles A. Gordon began negotiations with the College's Board of Regents to establish such a chapter. This proposal was a bold, entirely new concept for the College, and it was debated in numerous conferences at the central headquarters before it was finally approved by the Executive Committee of the Board of Regents on December 9, 1930.

At the Chapter's founding meeting, officers were elected as well as a council, a Committee on Applicants, a Committee on Practice, and a Scientific Committee were appointed. The founders and officers recognized early that the Chapter could be of tremendous value to the local Fellows. Aside from sectional meetings and annual congresses, most Fellows seemed to feel that little was being done for them by the College itself. To offset this and to correct it, the Chapter's Scientific Committee began arranging almost immediately for field trips to various outstanding medical centers. This, then, was the beginning of continuing medical education and the enhancement of surgical knowledge and techniques.

The American College of Surgeons had begun its Hospital Standardization Program in 1917, and for many years it sent surveyors across the nations to examine hospitals for quality of care. The program was an excellent, wholly unselfish project which had been developed in the public interest and was financed by the College through its practicing surgeons and offered without cost to the populace. Faced by rising costs and the interests of other groups who sought a role in the standardization of hospitals, the College relinquished this important task to the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals in 1955.

In 1955, on petition to the Board of Regents, the Brooklyn-Long Island Chapter was granted Charter No. 1 by the College on August 6, 1951.

In 1972, the Chapter organized it Young Surgeons program, consisting of all Fellows less than 45 years of age.